Adverse Weather Conditions
In the event of adverse weather conditions, it is the policy of the academy to make every effort to remain open whenever possible. The decision to close the academy either before or during the academy day due to adverse weather conditions will be made by the Principal. Prior to the decision being taken to close, a risk assessment will be completed to ensure all the health and safety issues have been considered and control measures implemented. The risk assessment will be reviewed as adverse weather conditions persist.
The academy will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply:
1. Insufficient staff are able to come in to keep the academy running safely
2. Site conditions are deemed unsafe or dangerous
3. Conditions are considered to be, or are anticipated to later become, too hazardous for safe travel home.
If the academy is to close:
1. The closure will be recorded on the following websites:
· Ark Globe Academy https://arkglobe.org/
· Ark Schools https://arkonline.org/
· Southwark Council https://www.southwark.gov.uk/
2. The closure will be tweeted via @ARKGlobeAcademy
3. Parents who have supplied mobile telephone numbers will be alerted to the closure using the group call text messaging service.
The academy will make all practicable efforts to keep parents informed as to the situation with the academy during adverse weather conditions. We appreciate the uncertainty places considerable difficulties upon parents, however, parents are expected to check the relevant websites when it becomes clear that a closure is a possibility. Parents are also expected to inform the academy if mobile telephone numbers change.
Parents acting on the assumption that the academy would be closed without gaining confirmation, or failing to inform the academy of the circumstances that may prevent the child coming into school, risks their child being registered as an un-authorised absence.
Where the academy is officially closed, all absence is counted as authorised absence (absence code Y). In the event of the academy having to close during the day due to worsening weather conditions, parents will be contacted by phone either at home or work and asked to collect primary aged child/ren only. Such an early release will only be contemplated in very extreme circumstances. Students in the secondary school will be allowed to travel home provided parents have completed the permission to do so letter.
In the Principal’s absence the Academy Leadership Team on site will assume responsibility relating to the Adverse Weather Policy.
Please find the our Adverse Weather Policy and permisson to travel home letter below.