PE and Sports Grant Reporting
At Ark Globe Academy Primary we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sports Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing an additional sports professional, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
Primary School’s Sports Funding
Please follow this link to find out more about the PE and Sport Grant:
What is the Sports Premium?
The government provided funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding was jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and saw money going directly to Primary School Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
In 2017 – 2018, each school will receive £16,000 plus an extra £10 per Year 1 – 6 pupil – here at Ark Globe Academy Primary that will mean around £19,490 for the year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
The money must be used so that:
- all children benefit regardless of sporting ability
- that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments
- that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
The Sports funding will be used at Ark Globe Academy Primary to:
- support and engage the least active children through new or additional sports clubs during the school day
- increase the amount of competitive sport in which our children participate – e.g Lambeth and Southwark Football
- contribute towards the cost of a full time specialist Sports Coach to teach all year groups PE throughout the week
- invite athletes, dance troops and gymnasts into the school to inspire our children (Louis Smith)
- purchase equipment to offer access to new sports and physical activities as relevant
- develop a safe but active use of the playground at break times through playground markings